Putnoe Walk-In Centre
Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 2:00 pm
Sat, Sun & Bank Holidays: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Walk-In Centre is open daily to all NHS patients 365 days a year. The opening hours have been changed from 1st October 2018 to Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. Weekends and Bank Holidays 8:00 am to 5:00pm.
This facility is open to anyone who needs urgent medical care for minor illness or injuries. Routine prescriptions cannot be provided.
In the Minor Illness Specialist Nurse-led Walk-In Centre there is always a GP on duty. The GP’s who work at the weekends are not usually Putnoe Medical Centre GP’s.
A recent audit showed that the Walk-In Centre could have dealt with the majority of our patients who attended the Accident and Emergency Department. We therefore ask that you to consider this as the first option before visiting the Accident and Emergency Department with a minor illness or injury.
The majority of patients are seen within one hour of booking into the Walk-In Centre, the wait in the Accident and Emergency Department for non-urgent problems may be much longer.
The information below provides you with information about what can be dealt with in the Walk-In Centre.
We are able to help with the following in the Walk-In Centre:
- Minor Illnesses
- Cuts and grazes
- Minor scalds / burns
- Strains / sprains
- Bites / stings
- Emergency contraception
- Minor skin infections / rashes
- Minor eye conditions
- Stomach upsets
- Coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms
- Common illnesses
- Asthma attacks
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Urine infections / Genital symptoms
- Road Traffic Accident (Minor)
We are unable to help with the following in the Walk-In Centre:
- Head injury-loss of consciousness
- Severe allergic reactions
- Overdoes of drugs or accidental drinking of chemicals
- Doctor’s certificates
- Medication reviews for diabetes or asthma
- Routine vaccinations or travel vaccinations
- Routine dressings
- Ear syringing
- Routine contraceptive checks
- Routine removal of stitches
- Services will vary depending on the staff availability